>yoyo hex pattern

>

Yoyohexi
The afghan in the above photo was made by florines13 on flickr. I asked permission before posting; I think she did a wonderful job on this.

This is now available in PDF form download straight to your computer .  Soon to be available in book form

Advertisements

>More Dress Progress

>I am making a size four dress; the slip that you see is for a size four child. So this way you can see how much more I have to do to get to modern standards of dress length. When I get to where the original pattern asked the crocheter to stop, I will post a photo. There will probably still be about 7 to 10 inches of slip showing. Dresses had been worn much shorter in the 1940’s. It was considered cute to see a little girl’s bloomers. The way people wear clothes on children these days, it would be considered a long shirt that you wear with leggings. Fun how time changes some things. Click on photo if you want a bigger image.

>3 down out of 208 opps 212

>Remember those doilies I found at the thrift Well, I found 4 more of the same pattern; must have missed them last time. Plus, I bought a 50 cent ball of thread that had another doily in a different pattern half done inside of it. So I started to take the half done doily apart because I didn’t like the way the person had done it. But I like the center part, so I stopped and thought what could I do to save the middle part and make it useful to me and my family. So I came up with this idea; I am sure others have thought of it before because it is so simple. Take doily and make a hair bun cover or a snood. I took photos while I was making the second one so I will post a tutorial later in the next 2 to 4 days. I used up 3 of those 208 doilies which are now 212 doilies.

1st one from the doily found in the 50 cent ball of thread:

1st one 3/4 view
1st one side view
1st one

2nd and 3rd ones:

2nd and 3rd one
2nd and 3rd one side view

4th one:

4th one

All four together with three silly girls! Because I was making these out of already-made doilies, they are the color of the original doily, but they would be cute in real bright colors to match spring and summer outfits or holiday themes.

>11 year olds progress on her afghan

>

11 year olds afghan

She hasn’t given up on her thread project, yet; just put it on hold till this yoyo afghan project is done. She is doing fairly well; she has started making a ton of centers so then she can just build on them. Her plan is a 9 by 12 block lay-out for her bed, so she needs 108 blocks, total. She hasn’t decided yet, but she may make two of these afghans because she has a set of bunks in her room. All the little squares you see in the photo are centers for other blocks; she just wanted to see how much total area she has covered so far.

>My 9 year olds progress on afghan

>

middle daughters doiley

My middle daughter decided that thread was too slow and wanted to work with yarn. Shown above is her thread work with white edging to make it into a doily.

So, just as with the older sister, I told her to go get stuff from the acrylic yarn box that I don’t use any more. She continued with the granny square theme, but with a rainbow of colors, and it went much faster for her. She wants to make it big enough to fit her twin-size bed. She is doing pretty good; it covers all of her except her head at the moment, so she is about half-way there.

middle daughters afghan

Here is a photo of the two in comparison. Sorry (blurry photo), it is a rainy day here today; not great lighting. The hand in the last two photos is that of my 7-year old to give you an idea of how big this is.

comparison between afghan and doiley

This is her first big project other than Russian needle punch. I think she is having fun with it. She and her sister are having a contest of who can get done with their acrylic afghans first. The winner gets a fabric latch hook kit I bought at a thrift store for $0.75. Hey, maybe they will get them done before summer ends and they have to go back to school! Never thought something I bought for 75 cents could be such an incentive.

daughter with her project
This last photo is of the daughter who is making this afghan.

>Dress progress

>

how far I have gotten

So this is how far I have gotten on the dress; the bodice is done and sewn together at the shoulders. The edging for the neck is in place, and the buttons have been sewn on, as well. I have begun to work on the skirt portion of the dress, also. I still have two sleeves to make, then the dress is done. This is a vintage size 4; the reason I say that is because modern clothes have different sizing than vintage. When done, there will be a ribbon that runs through the neck beading and around the waist at the waist beading.
start of skirt part

This is a detail of where the skirt starts.
back

This part of the dress is the back portion with 5 reclaimed antique mother of pearl buttons. The thread being used is also a discontinued thread, so once I use my stash of it I cannot replace it.

>Oh yeah I finished the scarf

>I forgot to show all of you the scarf it is done and here are the pictures of that. It is all washed and clean in these photos actually still a tiny bit damp too.

back tied in back
side tied in back
front tied in back
back  tied in front
front tied in front
side tied in front

And as a neck scarf.

as neck scarf

Previous Older Entries